That you can make your application processes even more individual, we have added the "File" answer type to our "Custom questions" feature. This new feature replaces the old "Uploads" field. In this Quick Guide, we have compiled all the important information for you.
1. The advantages of the new "File" question type
Complicated application processes often lead to candidates abandoning the application. With our new feature, we support you in optimizing your processes in order to - among other things - avoid unfinished applications. The new question type "File" has the following advantages for you:
- You define yourself which types of documents your candidates should submit.
- Depending on the application process, you can individually request the documents that are only necessary for certain jobs, such as a driver's license or special certificates.
- You facilitate onboarding for new talents by designing customized questionnaires.
- Both your candidates and yourself will find all the questions in one place.
Since documents can be requested via the new feature, the old "Uploads" step will be removed from the application process on October 31, 2022.
Prepare for the change already now and manually remove the "Uploads" step in the application process by moving it to the "Inactive steps" field. This process is irreversible, i.e. the step will be permanently deleted from your application process. To prepare you for this and to avoid mistakes, we have implemented messages in onlyfy one:
- Both in the step "Application process" when creating a job and in the settings under "Application process", we point out that the "Uploads" step will soon be deactivated.
- In addition, once you move the "Uploads" step under "Inactive steps", a dialog box appears warning you that the feature will be irrevocably disabled if you proceed.
We recommend that you already create custom questions for documents that you need from applicants. Read in the next section how to create a custom question.
Was the "Uploads" step part of your application process so far? Then the elements were already automatically created by us as custom questions and summarized in the questionnaire with the title "Zusätzliche Dateien". In the section "How do I update my existing application processes?" we will show you how to easily implement these changes.
2. How to create a custom question?
Create a custom questions under "Settings" (1) > "Applications" (2) > "Custom questions" (3) by clicking on "Create new question" (4). In the next step, enter a title (5) and select "File" (6) as answer type. Under "File format" (7) you can specify which document formats you accept (multiple choice possible). In the last step, you define the question that should be displayed to your candidates (8).
Read all further details on the topic of custom questions and questionnaires in our article "Create custom questions and questionnaires".
3. How do I update my existing application processes?
You can customize your existing standardized application processes simultaneously for all active jobs by following these steps:
- Go to "Settings" (1) > "Applications" (2) > "Application Process" (3).
- Select the desired process and click on "Edit" (4).
- Now move the "Uploads" step via drag & drop into the "Inactive steps" column. A message informs you that this step will now be permanently deleted. Click on "Save and permanently delete uploads" to confirm the deletion.
- If you have not yet activated the "Questionnaires" step, move it to the "Active steps" column and select the desired questionnaire from the drop-down list.
Your questions from the "Uploads" step were automatically summarized by us in the questionnaire with the title "Zusätzliche Dateien ". If you want to insert these questions in the application process, select "Zusätzliche Dateien " from the list.
- As soon as you click on "Save", a note appears that the change affects all active jobs that use this application process. This means all your jobs with the respective application process will be updated.
Please note that job-specific application processes cannot be updated using this method. This means that if you have manually customized the application process as part of the job creation process and have not used a standard process, you will need to customize these jobs individually.
To do this, select the respective job, click on "Edit" (1) and select "Job Settings" (2) on the left. Under "Application process" (3) you can now adjust the process accordingly.